Selenium with vitamins A, C and E. The importance of Selenium, a trace element, has only been recognised for around 50 years but is now considered the most important trace element in your diet.
Selenium (+ Vitamin E & C) are antioxidants which contribute to the protection of cells from oxidative stress. It also contributes to the maintenance of normal hair and nails, normal spermatogenesis, normal function of the immune system and contributes to normal thyroid function.
As a trace mineral we only need a small amount of Selenium to be effective. Unfortunately, in Europe there is a large amount of Selenium deficiency because the best dietary source of selenium is wheat, but crops grown on European soil tend to be low in the mineral. According to a study by Rayman, “the level of intake in Europe and some parts of the world is not adequate.”
The key to selenium supplementation is not taking too much. There are some high strength selenium supplements on the market but the most recent research shows that it is important not to take too much selenium either. Our supplements provides 91% of the NRV (Nutrient Reference Value or Recommended Daily Allowance) which leaves some room from dietary sources.
Our Selenium comes packaged together with Vitamins A, C & E for added synergic benefit.
EFSA Approved Health Claims available:
– Selenium, Vitamin C & A contribute to the normal function of the immune system.
– Vitamin C contributes to the reduction of tiredness and fatigue and normal energy-yielding metabolism.
– Vitamin A contributes to the maintenance of normal mucous membranes
– Vitamin A contributes to the maintenance of normal skin
– Vitamin A contributes to the maintenance of normal vision
– Vitamin A has a role in the process of cell specialisation
– Vitamin C contributes to normal collagen formation for the normal function of blood vessels, bones, cartilage, gums, skin and teeth
– Vitamin C contributes to normal functioning of the nervous system
– Vitamin C contributes to normal psychological function
– Vitamin C increases iron absorption
SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS & VEGANS
What is Selenium Ace used for?
Selenium is used to handle or prevent selenium deficiency. Selenium has been used in alternative medicine as an aid to treat Hashimoto’s thyroiditis (an autoimmune disorder of the thyroid), and to treat elevated cholesterol. Not all uses for selenium have been approved by the FDA.
Is it safe to take selenium everyday?
When it is taken by mouth, Selenium is likely safe for most people when taken by mouth in doses less than 400 mcg regularly, short-term. However, selenium is possibly unsafe when it is taken by mouth in high doses or for a long time. Taking doses above 400 mcg can increase the risk of developing selenium toxicity.
Who should not take selenium?
Higher – a large proportion of the US population (the average level in American men is 134 µg/L) should not take selenium supplements.
What are the symptoms of selenium deficiency?
Selenium deficiency can produce a range of symptoms.
The most common ones are:
- infertility in men and women
- muscle weakness
- mental fog
- hair loss
- weakened immune system